Thursday, December 22, 2011

Traffic in Jakarta - The Golden Rule

Have you ever experienced traffic in Jakarta? If you are locals then you probably know that Jakarta has the worst traffic in the country. Jakarta is over populated, the growth of cars outweigh the growth of streets and roads. Trust me, when I talk about traffic in Jakarta it is just nasty. (unless if you have helicopter)

I drive to work everyday, and it took me an hour and half over 16 km to get to my house to office. Usually, it only takes me 30 mins if there is no traffic. This condition is worsen if there are accidents along the road, raining, road alignment and public demonstration. But along the years, I have develop skills in the road. To be road wise is crucial in Jakarta, especially when you want to attend meetings or deadline. It could be a very important moment in your life. I will share some golden rule that keeps me punctual along the years.

#1 Plan Your Route

This is the most important I think. To know what road and street to take is the best you can do. Use google maps to plan your route carefully.  You also have to have some knowledge about the route you choose. What time usually, the route you take will have a heavy traffic and a light traffic. For example, if you are going to take the toll road on 5 pm or 8 am, you know that Slipi Toll Road is gonna have a heavy traffic. I experience this every morning. Then you can choose to take another route.

#2 Know What Happen along Your Route

If you know in the news that there is some event going on in a certain area, avoid it. Because sure it will cause a heavy traffic. The other thing that you must consider is the weather. If its raining, you better go earlier.

#3 Know What Transportation to Use

You can choose a car or motorcycle, it depends on the situation. Sometimes car is faster but prone to traffic. Motorcycles are faster but prone to weather. You can also use public transportation which is Bus Way in Jakarta because it has its own dedicated line but avoid rush hour.

#4 Alternative Route

This is require some experience in the road. In my opinion it is crucial to have a knowledge on the area. It will save your time to get to your destination if there is heavy traffic. Also if you are and expatriate and have no knowledge about the road. You can always use GPS device on your phone or something. It works wonder. I'm a heavy user of GPS device, I have GPS using google maps in my blackberry phone. In my experience to know alternative route is very important, it helps me a lot.

These golden rules have help for all these years and I have a good record not to be late in meetings =)

Remember, better be earlier than to be late.

No comments:

Post a Comment